Friday, May 22, 2015

End of trail, for now

Even though I appreciated the cooler weather the last 3 days, the earlier humidity and sudden bug onslaught reminded me why I don't like the woods in summer. Aside from the no-seeums, biting flies and mosquitoes, it means ticks, and almost as annoying, lots of little green caterpillars sliding down from the denuded trees to end up smeared on neck, face, clothes, pack. Just disgusting.
Plus I need to have another biopsy done, since the results of the first were so uncertain. "Atypical squamous epithelium" which means neither normal not necessarily pre-cancerous.
And an opportunity this weekend which I can't miss, a reunion in Boston with my old roommates and friends there from the 70's.
Enough already with the excuses.

So this hike, and blog, end for now on the Hudson. Expect to return in fall and continue northbound.
I'll close with a shot of the "Lemon Squeezer." Trail legend has it that Marilyn Monroe tried to go through it back in the 50's.

No comments:

Post a Comment