Friday, May 10, 2019

Coincidental trail, Franklin NC

1. A few days ago I met a friendly couple out day hiking, in their 40s with a condo in Florida and cabin near Springer. They had lived in Boston in the late 90s when Chris got a MBA at BU while Cathy worked at Mugar library, where I had worked in the late 70s, so we knew lots of folks in common. Took a photo and sent it to her former supervisor Doreen, from whom I still get Xmas cards. She was suitably astonished.
2. Last night Long Branch shelter I met early 60ish Marta, aka Clover, who us doing her 2nd AT, this time nobo. In 2006 she hiked it sobo, and hiked quite a ways with a young guy named Snapshot in VA. Rodney and I had hiked with him earlier in PA, and Snapshot had told her a few choice and memorable Rotten and Old Blue stories, involving alcohol.
3. Also at the  shelter was a young Canadian woman named Sour Orange who hiked much of the trail last year. She had encountered Kibs back then after he broke his leg in VT and was being hauled down the mountain by a crew of hikers she was with, and was sorry she had missed him this year.
Today I headed into Franklin NC to avoid the very wet weekend weather forecast. I went to one of the outfitters since my left boot was wearing excessively, and they checked with the manufacturer on my behalf. They just called to say it was under warranty and will replace with new boots. Excellent news.
Now waiting to see if Kibs wanders in tonight or tomorrow in the rain.


Confederate Memorial Day being observed in Franklin NC

No comments:

Post a Comment