Friday, May 24, 2019

Day off, Hot Springs, 570 miles (more than 1/2) of the southern AT now done

I let the Smokies roll right by without comment, even my uneventful Gatlinburg resupply. Some rain and thick cloud up to then, but finally cleared off as high pressure system moved in. Hot and buggy, but not humid and the breeze helping keep the biting gnats off, sometimes. Going to stay extra warm the next week, so summer has come too early for my liking. Hiking at speed with bunch of hikers since the NOC, including Sock Monkey (French), Wizard and Sal (sisters from Canada), Escapee (woman always looking for ways to get off trail, not sure if she wants to keep hiking), even young speedy guys like Thor and Lupo. Lots of others behind, many ahead, a seeming little bubble of hikers. But despite heat and bugs, and a sore from overuse left knee, looks like I'm continuing on. Reese, friend from Smith will slack pack with me out and back to Hot Springs tomorrow, before he goes back to his cats in Knoxville in the evening. On his way home he'll drop me off back up the trail, so I will only carry full pack a few miles tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment